Late Night Snack? Make it Dairy! – Hiland Dairy

Late Night Snack? Make it Dairy!

A while back, we posted a story about the relationship between milk at bedtime and falling asleep. As it turns out, there’s much more to the claim that milk contains tryptophan, which makes you sleepy (just like holiday turkey!). Suffice it to say that tryptophan alone won’t necessarily make you sleepy.

However, there are all sorts of other reasons why milk – and other dairy products – make for great late-night snacking.


An 8 oz. glass of Hiland Dairy Milk contains 8 grams of protein, making it one of the best ways to get this essential building block of body tissue into your system. About 80% of the protein in milk is made up of casein, which is released slowly into your body, helping you regenerate as your body’s cells sleep. Whey protein – part of the other 20% – is released quickly, providing immediate regenerative support to your body’s muscles and other tissues.


Dairy products keep you satiated – feeling full and satisfied. Therefore, choosing a dairy product as your final snack of the day helps prevent the urge for a less healthy midnight snack, such as those chocolate brownies that keep calling your name.


You already know that dairy products are an excellent source of calcium, which helps build and maintain strong bones. Consuming dairy before sleeping gives you this calcium infusion right as your body is going into recharge mode. So there’s no better time of the day for a dose of calcium-rich dairy than bedtime.

So now that we know that dairy products are ideal for that last snack of the day, what’s the best way to get them into your system?

  • A glass of Hiland Dairy Milk – why mess with success? Or maybe have some on a bowl of crunchy, heart-healthy cereal – it’s not just for breakfast anymore!
  • Hiland Dairy Yogurt – creamy, delicious and great with other healthy snacks such as fruits or nuts
  • Hiland Dairy Cottage Cheese – also great with sweet or savory mix-ins

Packed with protein and other essential nutrients, no matter how you slice it (or spread it…or pour it), dairy products just make sense for that last snack of the day.

Now how you enjoy them is up to you…in fact, we’d like to hear your favorite dairy late night snack. Tell us in the comments below!

Thank you for signing up!