Gruyere Mac and Cheese with Caramelized Onions
- 6 tablespoons Hiland Dairy Unsalted Butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch (to taste) kosher salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups Hiland Dairy Whole Milk
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 ounces medium pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch (to taste) black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Pair each serving with: 8-ounce glass of Hiland Dairy Milk
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and caramelized, about 40 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, reducing the cooking time by 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour, whisking until combined, then cook for 1 minute. Add half the milk, whisking continuously until thickened, about 5 minutes, and then repeat with the other half of the milk. Add the Gruyere and Swiss and all but 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan and stir until the cheeses melt. Stir in the paprika, cayenne, nutmeg, mustard, and black pepper and salt to taste. Stir in the pasta and onions.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and top with the panko, a pinch of salt, a few turns of pepper, and the reserved Parmesan and bake until the top is browned, about 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve with an 8-ounce glass of milk.