Easy Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 ounces small pasta noodles like elbows or shells
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Hiland Dairy Unsalted Butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups Hiland Dairy Lowfat Milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups Hiland Dairy Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Parsley (optional)
- Pair each serving with: 8-ounce glass of Hiland Dairy Milk
- Add pasta to a pot of boiling salted water, boil until tender, then drain and rinse with cold water. Toss pasta with olive oil and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Stir in flour. Very gradually whisk in 2 cups milk until smooth and creamy. Stir in garlic powder.
- Stir in cheese until completely melted and fully incorporated. Add a little milk if needed (up to 1/2 cup) to thin the sauce of it is too thick for your liking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cooked pasta, garnish with cracked black pepper and chopped parsley, if desired, and serve alongside a glass of milk.