Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Images are stock photography and not actual photos of recipes. Final results may vary.
- 1 stick Hiland Butter
- 1 Onion, whole, diced
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Hiland 2% Milk
- 2 cups Hiland Half-and-Half
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 4 heads Broccoli, cut into florets
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 cups Hiland Grated Cheese (Mild Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar, Jack, etc.)
- Chicken Broth, if needed
- Melt the Hiland Butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions. Cook the onions for 3 to 4 minutes and then sprinkle the flour over the top. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute or so.
- Pour in the Hiland Milk and Hiland Half-and-Half.
- Add the nutmeg, the broccoli, a small dash of salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the broccoli is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the Hiland Cheese and allow to melt.
- Taste the seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Serve as is, mash with a potato masher to break up the broccoli a bit, or transfer to a blender in two batches and puree completely. (If you puree in a blender, return the soup to the heat and allow to heat back up. Splash in some chicken broth if needed for thinning.)